Monday, February 11, 2008

Ninety is Nifty!


This weekend we celebrated Grandpa's 90th birthday. It put D's 33rd birthday last weekend into real perspective. We had to catch Grandpa quick while he was smiling for this picture. We all just love him to pieces. He always keeps us on our toes asking us interesting questions, often requiring a decent amount of thought. He always encourages us, loves us (most of the time) and supports our aspirations (again...most of the time).


Perhaps the funniest thing he says to us are his "qualified compliments." Usually, when anyone cooks for him, especially me, he tells me the food is really good, that I'm a great cook, but I need to use more salt. This weekend, for his birthday, I gave him jars of homemade applesauce and salsa. When he sat down to the tacos Mom made for dinner and opened up the salsa, I sat and waited for the inevitable..."Please pass the salt." When he tried it and didn't ask for it, I asked him, "Does it need more salt?" "No," he replied, "But it does need to be hotter." Apparently I didn't put in enough jalepenio peppers. The last time I made him cookies, I took them right out of the oven and put them warm on a plate and laid it by his chair. He was grateful, told me they tasted great, but they were too warm and too soft. Can that be possible in a chocolate chip cookie? :)


I wouldn't have Grandpa any other way. I love that he likes what he likes and never pulls any punches. I love that he is so opinionated, even about things he knows very little about. I love that he loves me and my family, especially my kids. I love that he loves Grandma so much and that even though he doesn't really believe in any religion, he knows that Grandma is waiting for him on the other side. Small steps, small steps.


Happy Birthday Grandpa; we love you!!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Aahh - Grampa sounds wonderful. What a blessing to still have him with you. That was a great post!

Susie said...

Such a great post. It's a wonder your grandma lasted so long by his side with years and years of "qualified compliments". I'm sure she had as good a sense of humor as you do about it.

Topsy said...

My grandpa was the same way. He had a temper and could complain about anything - hmmm sounds like me? Anyway, he could do no wrong. The world was just better with him in it.