Thursday, February 21, 2008

Time to pop that bubble...

My heart has been very full lately... I think we hear that phrase frequently. We hear it at church, with our families, with those we love of our faith and not of our faith. But today I say it to you. Over the last year I have become very conscious of the world. Does that sound wierd? Since I have become a stay at home mom (whatever that means), I have definitely become quite complacent in my own little world. I am wholy consumed by my children, my spouse and my little bubble that I have surrounded myself with. Funny, if you have ever tried to look through a bubble, you see that the world outside is pretty distorted.
Today, I see how fortunate I am. I never had a lot of friends in high school. I was the braces and glasses girl that always sat in the back. A friend took me out for my "sweet 16" birthday out of sympathy. (Thanks again, Brad.) I had one or two really close friends that shared the horror of secondary school with me. (Thanks Steph).
Today, I received a response to an e-mail from my friend that was very silly, just about plans for the weekend. When I read it a spirit of overwhelming appreciation to the Lord for my numerous friends overtook me. Especially the ones who love me even though they know all about me. I love my friends that let me disagree with them. And I can be very disagreeable. Who don't hate me because I'm so far from Perfect I can't even see it from here.
I wish I had pictures of all of you to put on this post. I wish you could see the tears that flow when I think of you. (Actually, I don't. My mascara is everywhere.)

Thank you for being you, and for letting me be me.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Dear dear Rachel - what's not to like? I have loved you from the moment I met you. So easy to talk to, down to earth, humble, sweet, and wonderful. Not to mention, a blast to hang out with! You have a wonderful outlook on life that is contagious. You are a great friend, and such a great mom too. (and you like red - red shoes to be specific) :) People are blessed to know you. That was a great post.

Nancy said...

Hey Rachel,

I've always loved you. I love the way you write on your blog, that post was beautiful. I will be in town next week and I'm hoping maybe we could get together sometime. I'll be in town for about a month.

Ciao-
Nancy

Topsy said...

It is a good thing that grade school isn't the complete representation of our worth in society as a whole. People grow sweeter, more generous, and wonderful with age. Nice to be here and looking back!

HABBENINK said...

I still think you're a cheesehead.

Susie said...

You? Disagreeable? I'm still picturing you in braces...

Rachel, this was a great post, one that I'm sure you will treasure as the years go by. I'm glad you had an overwhelming moment of gratitude. They truly fill us up.

Oh, and I think you're pretty great, along with everyone else.

Topsy said...

Did you cut your hair? I'm dying to see some photos.

Michelle said...

You are a little sweety. I just can't imagine you without a plethora of friends. You are very easy to get along with. I should know. I've spent enough time with you:) Dito on a lot of what you said.