Sunday, December 14, 2008

When ye are in the service of your fellow beings...

As I get older, I love attending church on Sunday more and more. This may be because my children are getting older as well and I can actually sit through sacrament meeting with fairly little interruption. This week I had the opportunity to discuss some upcoming service that I was participating in. I was surprised at the reaction. I was told that I was actually enabling the person that I was serving. That by doing the service I was not encouraging the person to help themselves. It actually made a little bit of sense and even though I was determined to follow through on my promise, I started to feel a little bit bitter. This was going to take time away from my family and from all of the things I needed to get done for the holidays...

As I sat in sacrament meeting this morning, a sister spoke about compassion and I suddenly was brought back to the Spirit. I was gently, but strongly, reminded that the services I was needed for were not for those I was serving. Those acts of service were to benefit me and my family. I needed to be of service so that I would be humbled, so that I would be grateful for my blessings. The help that I was providing was meant to be a lesson for me and those around me.

"Oh, I get it!!" I said in my head. I was cheered to be reassured, but disappointed in myself for not thinking of it sooner. Disappointed for letting someone else try to discourage me from doing the Lord's work. I also wish I would have thought of it while the original disparaging conversation was taking place. I'm sure it will come up again. That is the beauty of Relief Society, right?

So, in this season of giving, I share with you this lesson that I learned this week. I hope it helps you in your efforts this season and in those to come.

4 comments:

Amy Heath said...

Rachel, I always love how you "bring it all home". I know exactly where you're coming from, and I know where you're going. I have felt the same feelings but know that you're doing the right thing. I know for a surety that person appreciates your help, and it all reality you will be blessed for it. I love you!

Yeargains said...

Hi Rachel, I too am taking on a bit of a challenge this week but I know that my family will be blessed. I do know that this family is very grateful and that is what makes it all worth while. Keep on giving sister!!

Love you,
Lisa

Topsy said...

Man, I can hear her in my head now. She is contagious - that disparaging soul!

Michelle said...

This person sounds like such a Scrouge! Too bad everyone can't be as insightful as you :(