Friday, August 8, 2008

The Fruits of Their Labors


My children celebrated a momentous occasion this week - the eating of the first tomato off of our plants in the back yard. Jonah had been asking me all winter if we could plant a garden and, not wanting to dig up our already landscaped yard, we compromised and bought large oak barrels for our "starter garden." As I dragged the barrels from the trunk of my car to the back yard in the spring, cursing at myself for not waiting until Damon got home, I was doubtful that we would be able to grow anything. I have a horrible history of killing plants. It's hard enough keeping my children alive; other living things are just too much pressure. However, we pressed forward. One barrel became the home for two patio tomato plants, the other, with a trellis, for green beans. I dubbed Jonah the official waterer and watched as he became very dedicated to the cause. He learned to have patience, that the tomatoes were not going to appear overnight. Even worse were the green beans that went in as seeds. We had to wait even longer for that blessed first sprout.
Now three months have gone by and those little tiny tomato plants are heavily laden with golf-ball sized fruit. Still no beans on the beautiful vines, but we remain hopeful.
Last Sunday we had a lesson in Sunday School about faith, from Alma 32. We learned that faith, like our tomato plants, has to be nurtured. We can't go a day without watering our plants in the sweltering heat and likewise cannot go a day in our lives without doing the same for our spirit. I know for myself that I have days where I only need a small sip of "water" to strengthen me, but there are other days when only the hose on high will sustain me. The reward is when that fruit appears, ripens and we get to partake.
These two sweet boys were so thrilled to run into the kitchen holding up that perfect first tomato. Of course I had to rush them back outside to take their picture with it. Then we immediately came back inside, cut it in half, and I watched those little gardeners partake in the fruits of their labors. Gives you hope for the future doesn't it?

2 comments:

HABBENINK said...

That's awesome! Rach, how do you feel that your sons have learned to grow the vegetable you despise? ;) I can't wait to eat one up!

Topsy said...

Did my garden craziness finally wear off? I'll have to borrow your barrel idea for here. That sounds like a lovely idea. Do your boys eat tomatoes like apples, my kids always did.