Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Bee has left the building....


Our family had a momentous occasion last week. C lost his binky. We absolutely tore apart the house looking for it last Tuesday, when suddenly D and I paused. Did we really want to find it that badly? C is two and he definitely doesn't need it. When he turned one, we only let him have it at night. It was not allowed to leave his bed. He was very cool with this, but insisted on having it to go to bed. I even remember driving 40 minutes into town when we were camping last summer, after loosing the bee, to replace it in order to ensure we all got a decent night's sleep. However, this time we decided that it was time to carpe diem. It was obviously a sign from the fates that it was time to move on.
When he asked for it, I used the usual parental response. "Oh, you don't need a bee. Those are for babies. You are a big boy." He informed me that no, in fact, he was not a big boy, he really was a baby. I also had a few tricks in my bag, so I quietly started to put away the toy cars he was playing with. "Well," I told him, "Babies don't get to play with cars. They also don't get to eat cookies or fruit snacks. And they don't get to..." and the list went on. Well, I had him.
Now, it has been an entire week and he hasn't even asked for it. We are praying that we are the first ones to find it. No matter. I'm pretty confident that it has found a home in the vortex of lost children's items. I firmly believe that each home with small children has one.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh my gosh, this is HUGE news Rache!! He's sleeping and everything? Wow! Ah, I'll kinda miss hearing him ask for the "Bee" - but he's so friggin cute anyway, it doesn't matter! :)

Topsy said...

Awesome. I love life without the binky. Can't believe I have to have another one in the house soon. We did the same with Syd. When she ran out of her last bag of diapers, I figured hey what the heck. If I potty train her I don't have to run to Costco right now.

Nancy said...

We haven't gotten to the point of losing the bee yet, but we have made it just for sleeping. (and occasionally to soothe a real bad owie.) I understand the vortex of lost toys - and socks. Where do they go?

Susie said...

I've always been a bit militant about removing the binky at about 15 months. But as I watch my children chew on their books, their hair, their clothes, their headboards (augh!), I'm starting to wonder if a prolonged binky addition might not be such a bad idea after all...
Good job seizing the opportunity!

williamsfam5 said...

I remember when the binky fairy came to our house and left a Spiderman car for Ian and took the old, germ infested, nasty plastic that he adored so dearly. Even 3 years later Ian still says, "I loved my red binky." But I think that the binky fairy knew what she was doing.